memorialthistle.gif (15063 bytes) 


Janet Louise Williams

April 25, 1936 – May 26, 2002

Rupert, WV

In Loving Memory of My Wonderful Mother

My mother was in the hospital for a total of ten days before she passed away with ARDS. The doctors did not give us much hope after the first day. It was very sudden. I did not know anything about ARDS, nor could the doctor’s seem to explain it to me. I wanted to be selfish and not let her go, but I knew God had a better place for her and that he needed her. Though my mother’s father was a Baptist Preacher, and she always seemed to live a Christian life, she never truly gave her life to Jesus until Mother’s Day of the same year, May 12, 2002. Therefore I had no doubt, she was going to a better place! My heart goes out to all the families who have been through this tragedy.

I really miss you, Mama. Thank you for always believing in me and making me who I am today.

Janet B. Williams
Ms. Janet Bennett Williams, 66, Athens, died Sunday, May 26, 2002.
A native of
Rupert, WV, Ms. Williams was a daughter of General Beard and Mabel Allman Beard. A daughter, Kitty Bennett, preceded her in death. Survivors include two daughters, Brenda Smith, Athens, GA and Sandy Chandler, Clermont, GA; three sons, Lawrence Bennett, Rupert, WV, George Bennett, High Point, NC, and Jimmy Williams, Hull, GA; one sister, Joanne Baker, Atlanta, GA; one brother, Danny Beard, Atlanta, GA; 12 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

God Bless You All

Email Address:

Gordon Sanders (Gordy)

January 3, 1944 - January 17, 2002 

Minnetonka, Minnesota

In loving memory of my father, who developed symptoms of ARDS as a result of pneumonia.  He is survived by his wife and two children, two grandchildren, and a loving support from friends and family. 

Email Address:

Donna Cooper

July 22, 1949 - January 7, 2002

Springfield, Illinois

This is for my beautiful step-mother, Donna.  She shared 13 1/2 years of her life with my father and truely was his soul mate.  She was and will always be remembered as the person who would give everything to make those she loved happy.  She was an angel sent to touch our lives, if only for a little while. God Bless you, Donna.  I will always love you and miss you.  Your stepdaughter- Tina.

Email Address:

Barbara Eleanor Macfie Priestley

August 23, 1939 - December 30, 2001

Weston, Connecticut

My mother was admitted to Norwalk Hospital in early December, having difficulty breathing. Because she had Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and Lupus, it was not unheard of for her to come down with a cold that could quickly turn into a lung infection. After one week in the hospital, being treated with antibiotics for an infection in her lungs, Mom was not feeling better. In fact, she was feeling worse. She was intubated and diagnosed with ARDS. Things went downhill from there. After two weeks on the ventilator, with no real progress toward recovery (her oxygen levels could not be reduced much, the CAT scan showed severe damage to both lungs and her kidneys were failing), Mom went into cardiac arrest and they could not save her.

For the full length of time she spent in the hospital in December, Mom was fighting (even when she was put on the ventilator). My two brothers and I saw that and we NEVER gave up hope. We were by her side everyday, talking to her and stroking her hands, even though she was heavily sedated and could not communicate with us. She had fought and survived other things in her life (including the Lupus) and we just couldn’t believe that this would be the end. She had three young grandchildren who she loved dearly (and who loved her dearly) and we just couldn’t imagine their lives without her in them.

I am my mother’s only daughter. She and I were incredibly close. She was my mother, she was one of my best friends and she was like a sister to me. I know that this hole in my life will never be repaired. I can only hope that the days to come will be filled with less pain than what I feel now.

Her two sons, her three grandchildren, her five surviving siblings, her many nieces and nephews, her friends and I miss her terribly. My hope is that she is happy (reunited with my Grammy and Pop-Pop, and my Aunt Kay), free of pain and watching over me (and blowing me kisses!) every day.

Emails can be sent to Karyn at

Christine Ann Minor

October 11, 1946 - December 19, 2001

Sartell, Minnesota

Wife, mother, grandmother, aunt and cousin, you are sadly missed by all of us. We rejoice in the favorite memories and good and bad times we all had together. You have taught us how noble a woman's heart can be and the true meaning of a confident and independent spirit. We love and miss you.

Communications may be sent to husband Thomas at:

posted 1/3/2002

Mary Delany

July 9, 1922 - December 14, 2001 

Mt. Laurel, New Jersey

My mom fought hard but unfortunately lost her battle with ARDS after 8 weeks in the hospital. She was a wonderful, totally unselfish, loving mother and grandmother. She had a great sense of humor, which combined with her strong faith in God got her through the tough times in her life.  The sound of her laughter will forever be remembered as will the love she had for all of us.  

From her husband, daughter, son, daughter and son-in-law and her four grandchildren we wish her peace and happiness with God and the hope we will once again all meet.  I leave this verse by Victor Hugo as a parting thought: 

"I am standing upon that foreshore. A ship at my side spreads her white sails to the morning breeze and starts for the blue ocean. She is an object of beauty and strength and I stand and watch her until at length she hangs like a speck of white cloud just where the sea and the sky come down to mingle with each other. Then someone at my side says � there, She�s gone� �Gone where� �Gone from my sight, that�s all�. She is just as large in mast and spar and hull as ever she was when she left my side; just as able to bear her load of living freight to the place of her destination. He diminished size is in me, not in her. �There, she�s gone� there are other eyes watching her coming and other voices ready to take up the glad shout. �Here she comes� That is dying."


posted 12/15/2001

Jefferson Q. Lynde

June 11, 1954 - November 27, 2001
Manchester, New Hampshire

Jefferson was a US Army veteran, having served during the Vietnam war era. Jefferson loved life and the comedy of movies, TV and acting. He also enjoyed reading. He was here too short a time, and had so much left to do. You are missed dear friend.

posted 12/14/2001

Stephen F. Scott

February 23, 1957 - November 11, 2001
Dover, New Hampshire

To my loving husband and father you are greatly missed. We love you and miss you love Lisa , Keith, and Stephen.

posted 12/14/2001

Stephen F. Scott

February 23, 1957 - November 11, 2001
Dover, New Hampshire

To daddy we miss you very much. You are the best daddy in the world.

posted 12/14/2001

John R May

July 27,1945 - November 1, 2001
New Jersey

The best of fathers and friends.  Your memory will live on with much love, respect, and pride knowing that we got to experience his unique personality.  

With much love forever, your daughter Rosalynn. 

posted 11/21/2001

 Louise Sracic Protz

October 27 1923 - October 30 2001
Blairsville, Pennsylvania

To my Mom:  You've always been there for me and Jordie and although we always have some regrets in not doing something right (or doing something wrong), I'll never regret all the good times we shared; the memories will live forever in our hearts.  The necklace you always wore showed the world what your identity was and what meant more to you than anything else in the world and that was the word MOTHER on the charm.  I know you are happy in God's love now and only time will heal the hurts we have in our hearts here on earth, but we also know that you will always be with us in spirit....just a thought or memory of you will make us feel your presence.  We love you Mom and be happy in heaven with God.  Someday we will all be together again. 

Email Address:

posted 11/20/2001

Lisa Kelley Hunter

July 24, 1964 - October 6, 2001
Dry Ridge, Kentucky

Lisa went to the doctor on September 17, 2001 having problems breathing. The dr. told her she had bronchitis and sent her home with a bunch of medicine. She called me on Wed. September 19th and stated she couldn't breath. I took her to the ER and they ran a x-ray and said she had pneumonia in both lungs and they were admitting her. By Friday that same week they said they were transferring her to another hospital. The next morning I received a call that she was put in ICU. She was on 100% oxygen on the hospital wall mask. They tried to turn it down but her 02 level would nose dive.  She couldn't take the mask off for  even a minute. On the following Friday the Dr's decided to do a lung biopsy to try to find out what was causing this. All the previous testing (blood, urine, ct scan) had showed nothing. Her 02 level dropped to 50 right before surgery and they rushed her in to be put on the ventilator before the surgery.  The next day after she had been in the hospitals (3) for 1 1/2 wks. They finally told us she had ARDS but do not have a clue what started it. The biopsy showed no infection of any kind. That Sunday she took a turn for the worse and they had to put the vent on 100% oxygen but peeps were at 10. On Monday they decided to give her drugs to comatose and paralyze her. Lisa fought this she wanted to be alert to what was happening to her but they told her it was best for her. On Tuesday the Dr. wasn't real optimistic. He said the next 2 days were critical if they could get the oxygen level cut back on the vent. By Friday we were told she had a 5% chance of survival because she had been on the vent at 100% for to long & that it was doing its own damage. I also notice that they had raised the peep to 26. About 2am I noticed that her mid-section of her body had swelled 3 times the size it should be. They were turning her every 6 hours and she was on an air mattress. The nurse stated that she had called the Dr. because Lisa's lung had blown a whole in them and all the oxygen was going into her body. I thought she would explode any minute. The Dr. Stated there was noting else they could do for her. Her 19 year old daughter was there (she also has a 16 yr old son that wasn't present at that time) along with Lisa's mother, sister, brother, 2 aunts. We all decided to turn the vent off. That is the hardest thing we will ever have to do and I think we will always question our choice. My sister was a person who loved life and lived it to the fullest of her ability always. She was my best friend and I will miss her terribly, but I believe she is in a better place now.

Email sister Trina at:

posted 11/3/2001

Charles "Coop" Cooper

December 15, 1979 - September 25, 2001
Rockmart,  Georgia

Charles "Coop" Cooper hit by a D.U.I. driver September 15, 2001.  He developed ARDS after leg and kidney surgery and was put into an induced coma and placed on a ventilator.  He fought for 10 days in ICU, but he lost his battle on September 25, 2001 at 8:45 a.m..  We miss him dearly.

Mom Venice, sisters Crystal and Dedra, brother Corey.  Aunts Gail, Tina and Lois Lamorris, Gnat, Tasha, B. A., Ash, Cassie, Bubba, Doria, Rere, Eric, Phillip, Pud and Grandma Annell, Papa, Tyson, Van Tray


posted 10/19/2001

Elaine Sherman Clearfield

June 26, 1939 - September 7, 2001
 Doylestown, Pennsylvania

My mom was the only person I had. I am an only child and I never really knew my father who also died 6 years ago. She was the most caring and loving mother any daughter could ask for. She gave to everyone without even having anything to give. She loved animals and children more than anything in the world. I'm so lonely and sad without her. I will always love you mom and I will miss you for all eternity.
My mom had an AVM in her brain which caused her to have a hemmorratic stroke. She then was in very critical condition. After a few days she started to get better and her brain surgeon recommended removing the AVM. She had the surgery and was recovering until the domino affect started to happen. She developed bleeding ulcers from the brain meds. then she developed a blood clot in her leg which went to her lung and was given blood thinners which caused the ulcers to bleed again and she needed a massive blood transfusion causing ARDS.
After she developed ARDS her kidneys failed and she look like a stuffed doll. She looked nothing like her beautiful self.  I never left her side at the hospital and I will never leave her side now.  After the September 11th tragedy I know my mother was taken for a reason, to take care of all the people in heaven. She was an angel here on this earth so I know she's an angel in heaven.


posted 11/2/2001

Panos Foundos

March 8, 1927 -  July 10, 2001
Manchester, New Jersey

The Most Loving Father To Me

Daddy, I wake up every morning and cannot believe that I'll never see or hug you again.  I play your videos just to hear your voice so that I don't forget how wonderful it sounds.  The children, Troy and I all agree that it is your smile that we miss most.  You always wore it well.  You had your own personal pain, but never became bitter about life.  Your father was killed by a drunk driver when you were 9 years of age, your mother died in a fire when you were 26, you discovered your brother John after he had hung himself when you were 68. You faced these tragedies, and never complained to anyone. I don't know if I could have been that brave.  We must have 500 pictures (or more) of you and in every single photo, you are smiling.  Thank you Daddy for giving me 40 years of unconditional love and guidance.  You taught me so many important, yet simple rules to a happy life:
1. To think before reacting. 
2. To put your family and spouse ahead of others, because they will be around long after the friends are gone.
3. When life gets overwhelming, remember to see the humor or it can make you angry and resentful.
4. Take care of your responsibilities or your responsibilities will take care of you.

I want to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. It won't be the same without you, but I'll try to keep smiling.

I'll love you forever.  Tere' xoxoxo

Contact Teresa at:

posted 11/22/2001

Misty Dawn Wiggins

April 11, 1982 - May 7, 2001

Misty developed ARDS after having her tonsils removed. She had surgery Feb. 8, 2001 and on Sunday morning, Feb. 11 she was in ICU. She fought long and hard for three months. She had 2 lung surgeries and a total of 9 chest tubes.  She also was put on a oscillator. She was in a medical induced coma for the last 10 weeks. She could hear us and sometimes she responded by moving her lips or opening her eye. The doctors and staff grew to love her and our family. She was born and raised in Tulsa, Oklahoma. She loved life and kids. On May 7, 2001 God called her home. She is missed dearly.  

This is her web site.

Our email address is 

Bruce W. Copes

August 27 1930 - April 23 2001

Smithfield, Virginia

My Father and I were very close. He was always there when I needed him. When he got sick I was very hurt. His sickness came on so quick that I never really had the chance to make amends. While he was in the hospital I went and saw him and talked to him to let him know that I was there and I wanted him to come back to us. I have many regrets but I know that he knows I am sorry for all I ever did or said to hurt him. He is greatly missed. My father was a very special man in more ways than anyone could imagine. He is always in my thoughts and in my prayers.  I love him very much and I always think about him. I cherish the times he and I had together and he will always hold a special place in my heart.

Email Rebecca at

Bruce W. Copes

August 27, 1930 - April 23, 2001

My husband of 25 years, Bruce W. Copes from Smithfield, Virginia, died after fighting ARDS for 8 days.  He was hospitalized at Louise Obici Hospital in Suffolk, Virginia for weight loss and low blood sugar.  He was found to have a 2 cm cancerous tumor in his right lung acquired from working around coal dust in the Railroad for 40 years.  He remained in the hospital for 9 days upon which time he was discharged home with O2 prn.  The next a.m. he went into respiratory distress and was rushed back to the hospital.  Upon his arrival at the hospital his SATS were 24 and he was immediately intubated and placed in ICU.  He fought a brave battle for 8 days before he lost his battle with ARDS.  He is loved and missed by myself and our daughters and friends.  My life will never be the same without him here with me.  This situation has caused me great grief. ARDS is a terrible disease and it has caused a great loss in my life.    Mary W. Copes, Wife.  My e-mail is

Bruce W. Copes

August 27, 1930 - April 23, 2001

My father Bruce W. Copes was born on August 27,1930. He was a very special person to everyone. The way he did things  was very special. I could talk to him about anything and he would listen. He was always there for me through it all no matter what it was I could always count on my dad. My dad loved to ride the lawnmower. He got the disease ARDS so quickly they said it came from the coal piers he worked at. He also had a spot on his lung that was cancer and also gained diabetes. My dad fought so hard for his life. Me and my family talked to him all the time in the hospital to let him know he had support from the family behind him every step of the way. My life is so different without my dad by my side to be my guide and my support. He meant the world to me I don't know how I will go on in life without him. Almost every night I lay in my bed crying to my dad and talking to him up in heaven. Life will never be the same every again.  I believe my dad sometimes comes and sees me at night sleeping and touches my hand for a few minutes.  My father lost his life at Obici Hospital in Suffolk, VA on April 23,2001.
Kendall C Kimball

Morgan Tiffany Olin  

August 6, 2000 -  April 4, 2001 

Her death was caused by ARDS and developed after open heart surgery to repair an undiagnosed heart defect.  She went into the hospital 3-11-01 in congestive heart failure.  Her open heart surgery was 3-14-01.  She was born in Burnsville, MN.  She was cared for at Children's Hospital in Minneapolis.  She leaves her mom and dad, Lori and Steve, and a sister Taylor.  Her complete story can be found on her web page:

Kenneth Ramsdell

September 26, 1955 - May 25, 2001

Kenny was diagnosed with malignant pleural mesothelioma on April 17, 2000.  He then had a surgery where they took the lining of his chest wall Sept 25, 2000 cause the cancer that he had was in the lining. (caused my asbestos) After his surgery Kenny then started getting Radiation.  We were down there (Oklahoma) the end of January to see him and he had radiation pneumonia.  They had him on a lot of meds said that it would go away mainly on its own.  Kenny was still golfing and active.  Here in May Kenny had the best golf game he had ever had and told Donna (his loving wife) that he hasn't felt this good in a year.  The next day she took him to the doctor cause he was out of breath so bad.  He walked in the did a Pulse oxygen reading and it was in the 60's.  Kenny was then transferred to the hospital.  He was in Tahlequah Hospital first then Went to Saint Francis in Tulsa Oklahoma.  They there said that he had ARDS.  They gave him a 3% chance of making it.  He was on a paralytic and also put into a coma.  His family most from Ohio went down on May 21st.  We seen him and talk to him hoping he could hear us and from what I read he could.  So don't let these doctors talk around them.  Kenny's vitals were all ok.  Not good but not real bad.  But the Tuesday my brothers and I  got there they didn't think he was going to make it threw the day.  He was also on a vent.  On Friday myself and our dad were in talking to Kenny when the doctor came in.  He told us that Kenny's Carbon Monoxide level was 3 times what it was suppose to be.  That if it kept getting higher we would have to talk about if what they were doing was right.  My dad then asked him if he thought Kenny would make it and he said no.  That day though his vitals were really good so his wife and children went back home (a hour drive) to do some things around the house etc.  Honestly everyone thinks my brother some how sent them home.  My mom, our dad, his wife cousin Brenda and I stayed.  I went in with my mom to talk to him and noticed his BP was 99/62.  It has been that low before but I went and told Brenda as she use to be a RN.  Then when her and my mom came out they said it was higher as they talked to him.  So then my parents went for a walk and Brenda and I went in.  His BP was then 76/52.  His nurse thought this was wrong and straightened the cough out.  Then it was 74/48.  I looked up and my Dad was there as that point.  I told Dad his BP was really low and he felt Kenny's head...told me too...he was cold.  I went and asked the nurse then if they could put it on the other arm just to make sure they did and it was even lower.  I left my dad and Brenda and went and got my mom.  Told her and Brenda was talking to the nurse asking if we should contact the family.  He said when he got a hold of the Doctor he would let us know.  So then my mom went to be back with my dad and Kenny.  It was only a matter of minutes and Kenny passed away with my Mom telling him just to stop fighting that it was OK. (my mom was his step mother but loved him as her own)  Kenny was 45 Years old.  He had a very loving wife, Donna Ramsdell,  2 beautiful daughters Sara Ramsdell Payton and Jamie Ramsdell.  A darling granddaugher, Kennedy Payton.  A Mother Barbra Myers.  A Father William S Ramsdell.  Step Mother Janet Ramsdell.  Brothers Mike, Ronnie, Rick and David Ramsdell.  Sister, Judi Ramsdell Hebb.  Also a lot of nieces and nephews.  
I am his sister Judi who is writing this and if anyone would like to contact me please do so at or Kenny's daughter Sara Ramsdell Payton at 

Martha Rae McGarrity Busby

May 24, 1942 - May 11, 2001

My mother entered the hospital with Pneumonia and sepsis on March 31, 2001.  Two days later, she was diagnosed with ARDS. She was put on the ventilator and the "roller coaster ride" began. On April 23, the doctor said there was a possibility she would be put in a room in a few days. Unfortunately, In a few days she started going down hill. She developed every complication you can imagine. The doctor said there was no hope. Her body just couldn't take it any longer. On May 11, 2001, God called her home. She will be missed by many.  We Love You Mama!  Your Girls

             Martha Rae             
      Today we are gathered to honor...the memory of Martha Rae.
  She had many wonderful attributes... of which we can speak today.
  Her kindness, unselfish generosity... and on and on we could go.
Yet, she wasn't perfect...but forgiven... the day God saved her soul.
    She had failures...such as we her 58 years of life.
     Made some wrong decisions...that also brought her strife.
     But from them she found forgiveness...flowing from above.
    Forgiveness that's afforded...through God's grace and love.
  I believe if she could speak to us...perhaps what she would say.
    Is, "I didn't want to leave you...but it was time to go away.
      Because, as I hovered here...a glimpse of home I did see.
 Then Jesus spoke, 'it's time to go home' His arms encircled me.
     Instantly I was standing in... heaven's portals up on high.
        Jesus smiled at me... as His arms swept open wide.
    He said, 'Martha, look around you...and your eyes will see.
   The home I prepared for you...when you gave your life to me.'
   I lifted my voice in my wondrous Lord and King.
   Saying, Glory to the Lamb of whom I owe everything.
  Oh, God gave me many blessings...while down here in this world.
Like my wonderful brothers @ sisters...and my precious little girls.
I had heartaches and struggles too...but, the one thing that is true.
   Heaven is worth every struggle...on earth that we go through.
          Sonya, Vickie,...when your hearts are heavy...
               God's strength will help you stand.
    Girls...Mama's waiting for a not so distant land.
    Remember what I've taught you...and how much I love you too.
Live your lives for Jesus...and when your work on earth is through.
       I'll be waiting in heaven for you!     Love...Mom"
                  Written by: Gale Steed 5-12-01

In Loving Memory of Victoria "Lynn" Curtis

June 4, 1956 -  April 29, 2001

My mother left behind 3 wonderful daughters a mother and her husband.  She left this world on a Sunday 10 days after being admitted to Trinity Lutheran Hospital in Kansas City for a simple surgery on her bowel that lasted 10 hours instead of 4.  When they did the surgery they found adhesions wrapped around every major organ in her stomach and fixed everything after surgery they told us she had developed ARDS, which we had never heard of before.  When she was in ICU they had her sedated most of the time, her Doctor had told us that he has never heard of anyone surviving this he must not have done his research.  Anyway she was sedated most of the time in the hospital she had occasions when she was awake and family did get to talk to her.  After about 7 days on the respirator they put a trach in and put her on heavier medication to paralyze her the next day we got a call at 4:45 in the morning explaining she had a high fever and to get down there quick.  We arrived and she passed away around 9:45 in the morning.  She was only 44 years old.  She was a great person, very funny, loved her family and her grandchildren were her life.  She had the greatest smile and eyes I have ever seen and I'm sure she is one of the most beautiful angels there is in heaven now. 
If anyone wishes to contact me you may do so at 

Thanks, Angela Waits

Dr. Martin Gleich

April 28, 2001

Dr. Martin Gleich, a Pulmonologist and Critical Care Physician, and a good person, was killed early in the morning on April 28, 2001, doing two of his favorite things - hiking in the mountains, and spending time with a friend. While hiking by Stairs Gulch, Martin and his medical school buddy were caught up in an avalanche that, according to rescuers, was of mammoth proportions.  

Many things can be said about Martin - his compassion for all, his unquenchable thirst for the out of doors. Martin was a good friend and a good person. Martin did not measure his life by the fact he was a doctor. Being a doctor simply provided the means to an end.  
Not that his being a doctor was something trivial. He had great knowledge and compassion for his patients, and the other health care providers whom worked closely with him. Max Eskelson is a member of the ARDS Survivors website. Being associated with that website, Max receives questions from folks around the world. When a person would write with specific questions about drugs, therapies, etc, Max would ask Martin for his thoughts and opinions on that particular matter. Martin would take the time to review the question right then or would arrange a time when the problems could be addressed. By participating with the website, Martin not only affected those at the LDS Hospital, but also offered hope, knowledge, and compassion for ARDS patients and families around the world. (Following this article is e-mail from the mother of a young girl in Canada, whom Martin consulted on log distance). 

Martin was an integral member of the Pulmonary department, and served as the medical director for the Respiratory Special Care Unit. 

Martin leaves behind his wife Gitte, and many people who, while sad at Martin's passing, are proud to have called Martin a friend. 


(It should be pointed out that it was Loren Greenway who reviewed this case with Martin and Howard Mann, a radiologist from LDSH). 

Dear Mr. Eskelson, 

Sue Peterson notified me yesterday of the sudden, tragic death of Dr.Gleich. I am the mother of Lindsey, from Ottawa, Canada, whose case you reviewed with Dr. Gleich. 

It is difficult to express how much it means to a parent to know that world class experts will take the time to assist their child. Dr. Gleich must have been an extremely kind and compassionate man and I'm sure his presence will be sadly missed, both at LDS Hospital and at the ARDS Support Center. Dr. Kovesi commented to me that it was clear that a great deal of time and effort had been spent in reviewing Lindsey's data at your hospital. 

Lindsey had a PFT last week, which showed her FEV1 are 45% predicted. As this is the first significant improvement we have seen in nearly a year, I am somewhat encouraged. 

I will remember Dr. Gleich and his family in my prayers, and will always be grateful for the efforts from LDS. 


Anne Stankovic

Technical Sergeant James R. Eck, USAF

May 10, 1966 - April 25, 2001

 My brother Jim was on temporary duty in Turkey when on April 7th a tumor ruptured in his left kidney causing a massive hemorrhage. He had emergency surgery to repair the damage. After the surgery he was on a ventilator. While in the hospital at the University of Adana Turkey he developed staph infection. They made 1 attempt to remove him from the vent, but were unable to do so. On April 14th he was taken by med flight to the Army/Air Force Hospital in Landstuhl, Germany. We were notified on the 15 that he had pneumonia. On April 17th his wife called and told us we need to come to Germany. My parents, sister and I flew to him the next day. April 18th they were able to put him on a trach. when we arrived in Germany they told us of the ARDS diagnosis and that only 50% survive. April 21st he went into renal failure. The hospital in Landstuhl didn't have a dialysis machine. He was taken by emergency ICU transport to the University Hospital in Homburg. He died April 25th with his wife Julie by his side. Jim was buried with full military honors May 3 in Lancaster, WI. Our family is devastated by his loss. Jim is
survived by his wife Julie, daughter Megan, son Jimmy Jr., his parents Bob and Phyllis Eck, sisters Angie (David) Dunn and Christine (Brian Corell), nieces Kessa and Hanah Corell and Erin Dunn, and nephews Matt Dunn and BJ Corell, several aunts, uncles, cousins and friends in the service around the world.

Send communications to

Robert Anthony Earp

July 1, 1958 - November 13, 2000

He was born and raised and still lived in Dyersburg, Tennessee.  He was transferred to Jackson Tennessee, Jackson Madison County Hospital, where he died.  We only know he had some type of pneumonia, the autopsy report is not completed yet, but he was a healthy man as far as we knew.  I talked to him three days before he went to the hospital and he said he was fine but he did sound a little short of breath but denied that to me.  He was a used car dealer and worked hard every day.
My darling, we miss you so much.  Don't understand why you had to go away, we will meet again.  Missed terribly by mom, sons Brad and John, brothers Jeff and Greg and lot of others who loved you so so much.
Rest my son, we'll see you in the morning.

Replies may be sent to Ruth at

William Jay Christiansen "Billy"

March 2, 1956 - November 9, 2000

On September 28, 2000, my brother Billy was flown from the city he lived in Fort Mohave, Arizona to a hospital in Henderson Nevada where he died on November 9, 2000.
When he first went to the hospital he could not breath.  He was diagnosed with pneumonia in August but the medications they were giving him did not work and he went to the same hospital five more times in that six or seven week period to be seen in the emergency room and sent home with medicines that did nothing.  In fact on his third trip they sent him home with Ibuprofin only??
On September 28th he was taken to the same hospital in an ambulance but unfortunately it was too late, they had him flown to a hospital in Nevada where he was diagnosed with ARDS and put on a ventilator for thirty days.  They had tried to wean him off the vent twice, then on November 8th they did a trach which we all thought was going to be a good thing, but the next morning November 9, 2000, my sweet loving brother Billy's heart stopped and they could not get it started again.  His six week hospital stay had ended up being the end of his life.  He will be missed everyday by his mom and his sisters and brothers, and loved for the rest of our lives.
I never heard of ARDS until Billy got it.  It is hard to believe such a terrible unthinkable disease could go unknown by so many people.  "I miss you Billy" He leaves his mother Ernestine, his brothers Robert, Mike and Tim.  His sisters Denise and Stacey. All his nieces and nephews, Ricky, Danny and Erik, Ryan, Kelly, Haley and Mallory.

We love you Billy!

Please respond to Denise at


Rich Hibbard

October 31, 1938 - October 30, 2000

He contracted ARDS following a successful heart valve replacement surgery, and battled it fiercely for three months only to die of sepsis after a brief recovery.  He was from East Boston, Massachusetts.  He died at Beth Israel Hospital in Boston, Ma.  He was the husband of Fran Hibbard and the father of Robin Lennon and Debra Woodside and Papa to Kristina Lennon, Kevin Woodside and John Lennon.  We will love and miss you forever.   Love Fran, daughters and grandchildren - life without you won't be the same.

All replies can be sent to me at


Carolyn Elizabeth Hornsby

February 27, 1942 – September 14, 2000

Developed ARDS following Pneumonia

Survived by two children, Brian Allen Westbrooks and Derri Linn Edge.  Five grandchildren, a mother and father, and many friends.  She was the most gifted and loving person I’ve ever known.  She now has her golden wings and will be missed as long as I live.  I love you mom.  Send emails to:


Lowrie Davies Tietz

December 30, 1944 - August 27, 1999


Contracted ARDS following a bile leakage from a recent gall bladder surgery that led to sepsis. Lowrie was from Millington, Tennessee and died at Baptist East Memorial Hospital. She left a husband who loved her dearly, Bob, a daughter who gave birth to her first grandson 10 days after her death, Mary, a son, Jud, and myself, Sarah, the youngest of the three children.




Charles E. "Buddy" McDaniel

March 16, 1938 - August 15, 1999

My father  was diagnosed with ards after he was badly injured in a car acident.  His left side was broken very badly and he was unable to breath on his own.  He was a resident of Newport, Ms for 61 years.  He left behind his wife Peggy McDaniel and 3 daughters Kim Long, Pam Kemp, and Samantha McDaniel.  He also had 4 grandchildren Colby Kemp, Brittany and Katelyn Long and the late Breanna Long. He was a very loving and wonderful father and grandfather.   Me and my family miss him very much, but we know he is in heaven watching over us and one day soon we will see him again.  We Love You Very Much Daddy.
My name is Pam Kemp, I can be contacted at:


Byron G. (Binky) Inman of Chesapeake, VA

February 13, 1947 - August 1, 2000

Died in Maryview Hospital, Portsmouth, VA after developing ARDS from  pneumonia. He was an active member of the community and a senior manager of US Navy Acquistion community.  He left three children, George Byron, Brady and Kristina.  He also had a long term relationship with Karen, and was finally coming around to marriage after losing his wife to cancer five years ago. Many family and friends are in disbelief that someone this healthy and active  could die so quickly.  In Karen's heart, Binky is still here, watching over us.  Rest in peace, and may I join you in heaven someday, where there is no illness, suffering or stress. 

Karen may be reached at:


Ranny Edward Gray

August 10, 1951 - July 30, 2000

Lived in Harrisburg, Arkansas.  Contracted ARDS after pneumonia.  Loving husband of 22 years to Phyllis Gray.  Loving and devoted Dad to Jeremy Gray and Holly Gray.  Ranny's laughter and smile will be forever in our hearts.

E-mail to:



Craig Michael Biagi

March 9, 1953 - July 25, 2000

South San Francisco

Developed ARDS following Pneumonia

Cherished husband to Laurie, loving father to Anthony and Nicholas, adored son to Frances and Ralph, devoted brother to Deborah, Robert and David.  Until we meet again dear brother, please know that you are missed by many, with all of us thankful for our memories of you.  Forever with love, your sister Deborah.


Jesse Brian Broderick

May 31, 1981 - July 9, 2000
of Moss Beach, California.

Jesse died 19 years young of ARDS precipitated by viral pnuemonia with asthmatic complications.   He was as strong, tough and healthy prior to this sudden illness as this family had ever seen.  His father, Dennis Broderick, will be eternally sorrowfull that Jesse was taken from us before he had the chance to grow into the man we knew he would become.

"What a bond to break, What a life to take, We'll be missing you."

E-mails can be sent to his family at:



Russell G. Holder Jr.

November 8, 1931 – July 7, 2000

ARDS following Pneumonia

Russell was admitted to Prespyterian Hospital in Charlotte, NC. On June 17.  He was diagnosed with pneumonia, which turned into ARDS on June 19.  After 2 � weeks on the ventilator, his kidneys began to fail and he passed away July 7.  Fathers Day, June 18 was the last day he was able to speak with his children.  Russell was a loving husband, father, and grandfather who will be missed  tremendously by everyone who knew him.  His remarkable zest for living  touched all those around him.   He was probably one of the best and smartest engineers in the country who always shared his passion for his work with others.  He was a loyal family man, who always provided for his wife and children.  His passion for living carried over to his 3 children, daughters Debbie Major and Cindy Jurgensen, and son Rusty Holder.   "Daddy, we will always miss you and love you."  From your 3 loving children, Debbie, Cindy and Rusty. Please send messages to:

Son Rusty at:
Daughter Cindy at :



Sabina A. Pekarski

July 25, 1921 - July 4, 2000

ARDS developed from sepsis after abdominal surgery. She entered ICU at Eastside Medical Center in Snellville, GA on Friday, May 26 and went on the ventilator on Memorial Day, the 29th. She fought a tough battle and was doing better, until she suffered a pneumothorax on Thursday 6/29. From then on, she went downhill. She will be greatly missed by her son Garyn, daughter Nilorie, and their spouses. Four sisters, one brother, six grandchildren, four great-grandchildren, and many nieces and nephews. See you on the other side, Mom. Don't work too hard getting the mansion ready !   Emails can be sent to the family at:



Laura A Harris

June 5, 1969 - July 1, 2000

After developing ARDS from open heart surgery.She was in ICU for 7 weeks, had a trach done June 27 and her condition downgraded from there. She will be sadly missed by friends, co-workers, and family, especially her husband David. Email David at:



Patricia Joan Conners

March 24, 1928 - July 1, 2000

She had rotator cuff surgery on may 4th and went into acute adult respiratory distress syndrome. She fought a brave battle for two months. She was at St. Josephs hospital in St. Paul MN. We never had the opportunity to speak to her, but I spoke to her every day. In the end I told her to let go and to stop fighting, and that it was going to be o.k. I told her daily not be afraid. She suffered her last of three heart attacks. She will be greatly missed by her cherished husband Paul and her loving daughter Susan.
I love you mom, you were the light of my life.  Email Susan at:





December 17, 1973 -  June 22, 2000

Danielle just had her first child, son JaHaun, on May 28, 2000 and was admitted June 5, 2000 into Schumpert Medical Center, Shreveport, Louisiana. She was diagnosed with pneumonia and developed ARDS. Danielle is survived by her son JaHaun, mother Doris, sister Shundon, and brothers Al, Jackie, Tony and Jacoby.
They will miss her with all their hearts and will never be the same.
We know you are watching over us all ! Emails can be sent to family at:


Bill D. Harriger

May 30, 1936 - May 16, 2000

ARDS developed after Total Knee Replacement Surgery

 Bill was recently from Panora Iowa, but had lived for many years in Tigard Oregon. He died at Methodist Hospital in Des Moines, Iowa.  Bill was a wonderful father, and husband. His spirit, wisdom and love will live on in his family. He is survived by his wife Emmy Harriger,  sons Jim Harriger, Tom Baker, Steve Baker, and Shawn Baker, and by daughters Laurel Hardy, and Cindy Baker.  He was also the loving Teepaw to grandsons William and Joseph Hardy. He was reunited in Heaven with his wife on 25 years, Betty Lou Harriger. Bill is also survived my more friends than one can count. They were precious to him, and his love and admiration were evident in his everyday life.  We miss you more each day, but find peace in the presence of your spirit, and the knowledge that you suffer no more. We love you Daddy!  Any corresponence can be sent to Laurel Hardy at


Lynne Gilmore

December 25, 1940 - May 13, 2000 at 3:35pm.

She had a splenectomy on March 31st, developed ARDS on May 7th and never came home. She is greatly missed by her husband Jack. Daughters Chris and Jacki, Sons RIP and Mike. She had 9 grandchildren, Michael, Jami, Andrea, Michael, Jessica, Matthew, Tanner, Sammy and Jordyn. I would love to here from others with similar situations. Email Chris at:



Betty L. Clements

Passed away at 5:15 p.m. on March 7, 2000

After a long battle with ARDS after knee surgery. Betty was born on February 14, 1939 and lived in Houma, LA.  She is survived by her loving husband, Frank P. Clements her mother, Verda M. Babin. Two sons, Lewis V. Hulan, Jr. and Jack P.Clements. One daughter, Reva H Folse two daughters-in-law, Stephanie Clements and Francine Fremin, two brothers, Chester V. Parker and wife, Sherrie Parker and Mr. and Mrs. Gerald Martinez. Betty was the very special grandmother of five grandsons, Chad Hulan, Troy Webre, Joshua Clements, Jake Clements and Brad Martin. She also had six granddaughters, Tara Martin, Crissy Hulan, Alexa Clements, Teddi Jane Folse, Jennifer Webre, and Misty Hulan. There were five great-grand children for her to cherish and love. If you would like to leave me a message you can e-mail me, Betty's granddaughter, at:


Special Poem



Lydia Mae Bauer ("Punkin")

November 10, 1932 - February 22, 2000

ARDS following pneumonia and associated with sepsis, Christian Northeast Hospital, Bellfountaine Neighbors, Missouri.  Loving mother of Peggy Bauer, grandmother of Jessica Bryant and Jr. Bryant, Soon to be Great Grandmother, sister, aunt, cousin, and friend.

"We will always hold your smile close to our heart Aunt Punkin!!!!!"

Please send messages to niece,

Dawn Zimmerman



Robert Cayer

 February 4, 1952 - February 20, 2000

 Lost a seven week fight with ARDS caused by lung trauma and pneumonia. 
Royal Columbian Hospital, New Westminster, British Columbia.

My beloved soulmate, I miss you every day.  Even though no words passed between us while you were on life support, I know what you tried so hard to say to me....and "Robb, I love you too.   Always have and alway will."  Survived by his loving mate of 25 years, sisters Annette, Grace, Rene and Carol and brothers Leonard and Gus.  Predeceased by his brother Richard whom I know held his hand and helped him across


Bernice Eaton

October 10, 1934 - February 11, 2000

ARDS following cyst removal surgery and staff infection and blood transfusion. Medical Hospital of Lewisville Lewisville, Texas.  Loving homemaker and mother of sons, Michael and Kenneth Eaton and daughter, Kathy Parks. Please send messages to daughter Kathy.



Carlie Lamar Wilson

February 14, 1948 - February 5, 2000

Born in Quitman, Mississippi, Died at Memorial Medical Center, New Orleans, Louisiana.  ARDS following sepsis following chemotherapy for AML Survived by his mother Helen, sister Wanda, many nieces and nephews, and cousin Linda, who says, "Carlie was my hero in life now my angel in Heaven." Please send messages to cousin, Linda



Gary Edward Henderson
"Big Head"

April 29, 1947 - January 28, 2000

Developed ARDS after taking chemotherapy and radiation for Hodgkin's Disease.  He was on the ventilator for 21 days.  He was in Maury Regional Hospital in Columbia, Tn.  Sadly and deeply missed by his wife of 29 years, Pat "Daddy's Little Girl", Lisa Son-In-Law Danny and other family and friends.  Daddy you were a friend to everyone you ever met and you will never be forgotten and we will never stop missing and loving you. Email Lisa at:



Robert William Weaver Jr.

September 5, 1946 - January 26, 2000

ARDS with sepsis following liver transplant Johnstown, Pennsylvania.   Survived by his wife, Joanne Weaver  daughter, Michelle Craig, son, Kevin Weaver father, Robert Weaver Sr., mother, Dorothy Weaver and sister, Cheryl Korenoski "Forever remembered and loved."  Please send messages to daughter, Michelle



James T. Howard Jr.

April 10, 1955 - January 17, 2000

ARDS following pneumonia born in Annapolis, Maryland died in Portsmouth, Virginia. U.S.Navy Lt.(Ret.) Son of Audrey and Tom Howard, Father of three sons Jason, Justin, and Brandon, Ex-Husband and friend of Janice Howard, Brother of Dawn Goodnow, Wayne and Bill, Grandson of Lil Williams, Uncle of Amanda, Rebecca, and Kaitlyn, Brother-in-law of Mark and Holly.  Please send messages to:


or Dawn



JoAnn Ellen Schady Hillard

December 6, 1935 - January 7, 2000

ARDS following bypass surgery 12/10/99.  Loving wife of David Hillard, mother of Scott Hillard and Leslie Smith, sister of Mary Lou Theiss, and aunt of Renee Golick.  Please send messages to:




Poem for Dorothy Stuff's Father

June, 2002


You listened to me when I was angry at the world And when I thought I knew it all. You always let me think I was right or helped me see why not.

You accepted me for who I was and only tried to Help me see that who I could really be. You treated Me as yours even though I�m not and you always Made me feel like I was just as important and as special As your own. I never felt like I didn�t belong.

You were there when I was small and always Whenever I called. You never complained about The silly little girl things I did or the crazy Teenager thing I thought were so cool. You always Made them seem just as important to you as I thought they Were to me.

You were there to dry my tears and help thru the hard Teen growing up years. You made special memories For me that will always be in my heart. Even the times I could have sworn all you wanted was to tear it apart.

You taught me so much and always had patience to Help me thru. And despite all my grief you kept on Teaching me and loving me. You never stopped not for any reason.

You watched me grow from a baby to a lady. Always Picking me up when I fell and dusting me off, patting Me on the back and giving me the courage to try again. And thru it all you kept on smilin�

What you gave and did for me Dad no one else could Have done. This and all the love you gave to me makes You the very best daddy.

I love you Dad!

Dorothy Stuff 6/2002